Case study example:
Following the merger of Glaxco Pharmaceuticals and the Wellcome Foundation, the decision was taken to build a multi-level car park in the south-eastern corner of the site at Stockley Park Middlesex.
From the start, the emphasis was on combining aesthetics with functionality and on future developments and needs. Yeoman and Edwards were appointed as project and costs managers by Glaxo Wellcome to lead this fast track project. Structural design was by Anthony Hunt Associates with Thompson Design responsible for the overall project design, which was sympathetic to the existing buildings on site. To ensure the project met its fast track requirement, hollowcore was chosen for the parking deck and Tarmac Topfloor supplied 5000sq.m of hollowcore floor slabs 110mm deep and 1200mm wide for the four-storey structure. The slabs were given an in-situ structural screed by main contractor Try Construction Ltd.
Features and Benefits of Precast Concrete.
- Full range of depths from 75mm up to 450mm for different situations and spans.
- Can be used in all usual bay configurations e.g. 4.8m, 7.2m and for full clear spans up to 16m for column free layout providing improved circulation, ease of parking and enhanced vision for greater security.
- Clean flat soffit line can be left exposed for maintenance free benefit or can accept direct decoration.
- Flat soffit also simplifies service runs eliminating annoying downstands.
- Provides excellent light distribution across the deck area with no shadowing effect.
- Can be used in all types of frame construction, steel, precast or in-situ.
- Four hour fire protection available for basement level parking without the need for extra applied finishes.
- Fast to install and offers an immediate working platform for follow-on trades.
- Expensive formwork and propping eliminated.
- Units can be used compositely with a structural concrete topping for enhanced performance and improved span/depth ratio.