Concrete’s inherent properties are ideally suited to the education sector - its reputation for durability offers important savings in repair and maintenance within the school environment. Furthermore, whole of life savings can be attributed to concrete’s thermal mass which is acknowledged to be a valuable solution to the problem of overheating and its associated cooling costs.
Precast concrete manufacturers can supply a wide variety of external finishes, whilst details such as solid floors and insulated walls deliver concrete’s acoustic benefits and contribute to a building’s fire safety. There are many reasons to use offsite build systems, including:
- Greater speed of construction
- Factory production enables optimal finish
- Reduction of trades required onsite
- Reduction of waste
- Greater quality control
- The University of Northampton's new Waterside development will cater for 14,000 students and 2,000 staff.
- The new world -class University of Roehampton Library is a 70,000 square foot, five-storey building, housing 350,000 books and 1,060 study spaces.